Stuffed Bell Peppers
· 3 large green bell peppers
· 4 T butter
· 2T scallions (green onions) minced
· 1T garlic minced
· 1 ½ cups diced mushrooms (baby bellas work good)
· ½ lb lean ground beef
· 2 cups rice, cooked
· 2 eggs slightly beaten
· 2T fresh parsley, chopped
· ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
· 2 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
· ½ cup chicken stock
1. Cut each pepper in half thru the stem. Remove the seeds and membranes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and place the pepper halves in the water. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove and drain t he pepper halves on a paper towel, cut side down.
2. In a large skillet melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, garlic and scallions and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes, being careful not to0 brown then mushrooms.
3. In another skillet cook the ground beef.
4. In a large bowl mix the rice, mushroom mixture, beef, parsley and parmesan cheese.
5. Mix the 2 eggs in a small bowl. The add a bit of the rice/meat mixture to temper the eggs. Then add the eggs to the rice mixture. Mix well.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place the pepper halves in a large casserole dish. Stuff with the rice mixture.
8. Mix the sauce and stock together. Pour over the peppers.
9. Bake @ 350® for 30 minutes.